About Salem Electric
Who we are, how we operate, and our commitment to cooperative principles.
Founded in 1938, Salem Electric is a not-for-profit electric cooperative. Unlike investor-owned utilities, electric cooperatives provide electricity to their consumer-members at cost. Reliable, renewable, electricity is distributed to members throughout our 17.5 square mile service territory.
Salem Electric is committed to the communities we serve by providing scholarships, heating assistance, donations, and electrical safety education. SE employees are members of your community who volunteer hundreds of hours annually to local organizations.
Five goals guide our business decisions.
- Reliable Service
- Good Customer Relations
- Good Employee Relations
- Financial Integrity
- Low Rates
All cooperative businesses adhere to seven guiding principles.
7 Cooperative Principles
- Open and Voluntary Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Members' Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training, and Information
- Cooperation Among Cooperatives
- Concern for Community
Salem Electric is an equal opportunity employer and is dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on any basis, including race, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability or sexual preference.
Salem Electric has an opening for the following position.
Safety Services Coordinator
Salem Electric is hiring a Safety Services Coordinator for the Safety Services User Group (SSUG) which is comprised of five participating electric utilities. The utilities collaboratively share the services of the Safety Services Coordinator who conducts various safety compliance and loss prevention duties and meets the prospective safety needs of each utility.
Under supervision of the SSUG (Blachly Lane Electric, Douglas Electric, Emerald PUD, Lane Electric, and Salem Electric), the Safety Services Coordinator is responsible for developing and implementing safety training programs for the participating utilities. This position works to reduce or eliminate accidents and hazards, measured by incidence and severity of accidents, time loss hours, and worker's compensation claims.
This position is responsible for keeping member utilities informed of local, state, and federal rules and regulations as they relate to safety and health issues. Also responsible for providing and sharing information among utilities, and ensuring that utilities are in compliance with record-keeping requirements.
• Must be familiar with electric utility operations, be a skilled trainer, and an effective speaker.
• Must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to evaluate, organize, and communicate technical information in easy-to-understand language.
• The qualified candidate must have familiarity with safety accreditation programs.
• Must have a Bachelor's degree in a health or safety field or the equivalent in work experience and specialized training.
• Three to five years’ work experience with safety, loss and accident prevention, safety education, and accident investigations preferred.
• Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of safety, accident and loss prevention, safety equipment, training methods, statistical procedures, and record keeping requirements.
This position is expected to participate in training and development courses as well as regional and national safety meetings as authorized to keep knowledge current.
JOB LOCATION/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Position is based in Salem, OR and requires frequent travel to participating utility locations as well as travel to off-site trainings as needed.
• Part office, part field conditions.
• Must be able to carry training equipment and materials to job site.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• This is a full-time, non-union position working approximately 40 hours per week.
• Time is split equitably between five participating electric utilities.
DEADLINE: Open until filled.
TO APPLY: Email a resume and cover letter to jobs@salemelectric, or mail to:
c/o Safety Services Coordinator
PO Box 5588
Salem OR 97304
Salem Electric has a defined service territory shown in gray and located within the boundary line on the map below. To start service or determine if a specific address is served by Salem Electric, please contact our office during business hours at 503-362-3601.
Meet Your Board of Directors
Salem Electric board members support the work of the general manager and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. Directors are elected by the membership and serve three-year terms. Contact Us
Board meetings are held monthly and members are welcome to attend. Dates of upcoming board meetings are posted on our Meetings, Events, and Closures page, and both the Board Meeting Summaries and Minutes of Board Meetings are available for view.
Meet the Management Team
We’re here for you. Salem Electric's management team has over 127 years of dedicated experience working for Salem Electric. We love our co-op and we hope you do too.