Winter Weather is Upon Us
Cooler temperatures don’t have to mean cold homes. Stay comfortable this winter by following these energy saving tips:
Adjust the Temperature
- Turn off space heaters when you leave the room or go to sleep.
- Turn your thermostat down when you are asleep or leave the house. Each degree saves about 2% on your heating costs.
Prepare Your House
- Close crawlspace vents to reduce the chance of pipes freezing.
- Replace furnace filters monthly or as recommended.
- Make sure heat can get into the room. Keep furniture and drapes from blocking heat registers and return vents.
Reduce Heat Loss
- Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around leaky doors and windows.
- Close your curtains at night to keep the heat in, and for windows facing the sun, open the curtains during the day.